Daniella

I love things that make you think twice,Independent Coffee Shops, and being a piece of the global community. I have a strange affinity for Latin American culture, Nicaragua in particular. My day feels oddly unbalanced if it does not start with a downward facing dog. I have developed a newly found appreciation for punk shows and deeply enjoy the hidden sense of community among what I have experienced to be an amazing group of down-to-earth individuals. I enjoy the stride and sound of an authoritative click originating from 3+ inch heels. I think insight can be gained by thinking about any discipline philosophically. I am overwhelmed by the vast array of knowledge and wisdom I am engulfed in and disappointed I humanly cannot obtain it all. Though I remain enlightened and empowered by the realization of my own personal limitations. At any point I am up for a conversation entering the wee hours of the morning talking about the trials and tribulations of the globe or anything else under the sun. I tell people how it is because the world is already full of illusions. I still however remain baffled at my inability to remember the longitude and latitude of my keys, phone, or wallet at any point in time. Graciously open to new instruments including the most sacred sounds echoing from the human body, to the violin, or the Djembe despite my atrocious lack of rhythm. I do a hauntingly accurate impression of my 75-year-old off the boat Italian grandmother and enjoy authentic Italian cooking to raw fish wrapped in seaweed. The list goes on as I'm sure it does for most, but lastly I truly appreciate the uniqueness of each individual while seeing no matter how seemingly different we all are, we are all connected.

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Mindful Giving

 
    
  I have never purchased anything on black friday, even before my hatred for materialism continued to grow as I got older. I am always deeply unsettled by the way people behave on this day. I had no idea what it was before. I went with my boyfriend at the time to Best Buy, we got up before the sun came out which is not natural on any day no matter how many gadgets I get to go home with. I went there without really needing anything in particular, I guess I just wanted to see what this day was about. I walked pretty aimlessly around the store, meandering down the aisles uncomfortably taking in the chaos. As I walked around I could feel the energy of everyone running and shoving past one another to buy whatever it was they thought was worth getting up at this ungodly hour. I reached an aisle that I could not pass because it was blocked by a giant cage filled with cameras. As I turned to head in the other direction I was shoved out of the way from behind, naturally arose a bit of anger as I turned around and an older gentleman no younger than 70 had shoved me out of his way. Not so much as a glance in my direction he simply began to yell at an employee about a camera he needed. People often joke about this day and the poor older folks getting trampled, I think back to this day and think they shove just as much. A day falling after one that should still resonate with gratitude is filled with aggression and disregard for others. We are a society filled with useless things we think will make us happy and I watch people push past each other as though they are all in the running to be on that show hoarders. I do not know a single person who has returned from black friday madness content and glad they decided to venture out. For the holidays please think about giving something that you did not obtain by shoving someone out of your way. Try giving someone something like a massage,tickets to a show, an experience, or donating to a charity in their name. Try giving from your heart, something that is not just thoughtful for the receiver but for the planet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment